Want to be more productive? In a word, “quit!”
Quit doing the things you aren’t supposed to be doing so you have the time to do what you should be doing. This is what I call “Strategic Quitting.”
A lot of people don’t have it.
That’s why most people are not super productive in their lives.
I can’t begin to count the number of times I’ve been hired to coach or consult and I’ve been told “I don’t have enough time.”
How often have you heard this? How often have you said it?
Likewise, one of the most challenging things I deal with while working with entrepreneurs is getting them to let go of low leveraged activities so they can focus their time on high leveraged activities.
If you want your business and results to grow by 10X, and you invest all your time in low leveraged activities, you’re never going to get there.
Here’s a quick exercise for you that I do with my clients:
- Determine how much money you wish to make in the next year (be specific)
- Divide that number by the number of months you intend to work out of the next 12.
- Divide that by the number of weeks you intend to work in those months
- Now divide by days per week
- Finally by the number of hours per day
What you end up with is your intentional worth per hour. Not what you’re currently producing, but what you intend to produce. Are you with me?
Let’s do an example:
- $100,000.00 per year
- One month off so divided by 11 gives you $9091 per month (by the way if you’re in start-up mode and you tell me you want to take a full month off I’ll tell you to stop drinking the romantic Kool-Aide!)
- Working 7 days per week gives you $1299 per day every single day of the week. Please remember, Bill Gates didn’t take one day off for 6 years when he was building Microsoft. (another reality check)
- So you’re going to work 12 hours per day. Divide $1299 by 12 to get you $108.22 per hour.
Now what that means is that you as the business owner and income generator are worth $108 per hour based upon where you’re going financially.
Not where you currently are, but where you’re going.
You want to reach the top of your game?
You have to make decisions based upon where you’re going versus where you are.
I call this “Living From the Outcome.”
It’s scary but if you won’t do it you’ll never get there.
Hiring a team member is one of the most frightening things sometimes, but you can’t afford to not do it.
I can’t begin to count how many entrepreneurial arms I’ve had to twist to convince someone to hire a person to do the things that need to be done that should not be done by the owner.
If you can pay someone $20 per hour to get a job done for you that takes two hours and you do it yourself, you just invested $216 to get the job done versus $40.
If you watch the typical 4 hours of television per night the average American watches, you just invested $432 to watch TV!
They better have been damn good programs!
Not a very intelligent ROI in either example.
If you keep this up you’re never going to make your $100,000 in this example.
You need to Strategically Quit!
Stay Awake, Love Life and Be Epic!